BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Can You Hear Me Now?

LanLan has had a few ear infections in her life. For the past 2 years she has seemed to have hearing issues after getting sick (w/ or w/o an ear infection). We also noticed that she seemed to have issues hearing after we flew on an airplane. As parents we have struggled to know if it has been true hearing issues or just a listening & obeying issue.
We decided that we would take LanLan to the ENT to have her hearing checked.
Waiting for the test took over an hour but the kids did great entertaining themselves with snacks & toy cars.
There were so many people waiting to have their hearing checked the audiology lab closed for the morning. Thankfully we already had our slip turned in to have the test done.

We prepared our little orchid before hand for what the test would be like. She was very excited to listen for the beep and raise her hand.

LanLan was so excited after the test she told me "Mama I heard it!"


We went back to talk to the doctor with the results to hear what he had to say. He actually wasn't very informative. All he told us was "She has a middle ear infection. Here is a prescription for medicine." He didn't even give us the dosage. I was shocked and said "How can you diagnose an ear infection from a hearing test?!" We didn't anything explained to us at the hospital, we weren't even sure about the results of the test.
When we arrived home I called my brother who is also an ENT. I read the results to him over the phone and he talked with me and explained everything to me. He told me that LanLan had significant hearing loss in the right ear (the left was normal). He said that there shouldn't be any permanent hearing loss and that as soon as the fluid build up/pressure in the ear (we don't think it really is an infection) was gone the hearing should return. My brother said that after 6 weeks the fluid/pressure should subside and the hearing should be normal. If it isn't we can go from there.
I had mixed feelings through this whole ordeal. Relieved that there actually is something wrong with LanLan's hearing (and she isn't just ignoring her mother's instructions). Sad that my baby girl actually does have a hearing issue making it hard for her to hear mama & daddy/her teachers/friends . . . Frustrated that the doctor at the hospital was not helpful or informative, but not surprised. Thankful that I have a brother who is an ENT and was able to explain things to me. Impatiant as we have to wait 6 weeks before we know what the next step will be.

0 comments: